A massive fireplace remains the centerpiece in what was Major Barron's office, now the library.
All the exterior trim had been removed when the aluminum siding was installed, so new trim was designed, completed and installed.
The 1930's Wedgewood stove we found turned into a catch-all.

No Mere Facelift

Inside we rolled back the 60’s renovation — removing dropped ceilings, shag carpet, cheap light fixtures, and decrepit cabinets. Pulling out a wall of closets downstairs opened up the original parlor and underneath the drywall we found its turn-of-the-century wallpaper, which you can still admire on the ceiling.
All the original windows were rebuilt, reusing the old handmade wavy glass. The old doors had survived, built with mortise and tenon joints, and often with their hardware and the original faux-finish painting intact. We added new windows and French doors at the back of the house to catch light and reveal views.
Two walls of bookcases were built into the room that was originally Major Barron’s office, now designated as the library. A total of three fireplaces add distinction to the farmhouse downstairs, all with their original mantels and surrounds.
Upstairs, removing the plaster from the original Mountain House building exposed the framework of this space and revealed beams that had been charred in early roof fires. New stairs replaced the perilous little flight of steps used to access the second floor when it held the servants' quarters. A chimney removed, walls and windows torn out or replaced: there was history written on every surface.
The beautiful old hinges and other hardware were stripped, polished, and replaced.
Some areas of the original 1852 Mountain House were made of lath and plaster, like this room.
HISTORY
  EARLY YEARS  
  1 OF 5
  RESTORATION  
  5 OF 8