A Rich and Storied Past
If "space can be poetry," then surely the Mountain House is an old-time ballad.
The original building, shown here, was designed to serve as an inn and completed in 1852. Just then, gold was discovered in nearby Jacksonville, attracting a flood of miners up the California/Oregon Trail. Wagon trains also began arriving over the Applegate Trail, and the steady stream of customers brought prosperity to the travelers' accommodation and tavern.
A few years later, the Mountain House became a stagecoach stop and a post office was opened there. And for almost the next 30 years, stagecoach passengers tumbled out of the coach to eat huge, hurried meals ("grab, gobble and go") before being rushed back onboard for the next leg of the trip across the mountains.
The oldest building in Southern Oregon, the Mountain House was initially an outpost in the wilderness. It grew into the heart of a thriving, 8000-acre ranch that remained in the hands of the Barron family for over a century. A part of Oregon history lives on in the remarkable continuity of this place.